Further to the painted duck…
As I may (or may not have) mentioned I finished painting the duck, and took it out for water trials today – for the event I uplifted a D200 and a 12-24 from school, mainly shooting it at 12mm.
Obligatory self portrait by dint of shadow.
The duck was trialled in a variety of bodies of water…
And proved largely seaworthy.
Though considerably more prone to attention seeking than it’s colouration would suggest.
Well, I learned some stuff today, one was that while I like the Nikon I was playing with, it’s not the ideal tool for the task, for one it looks bloody expensive and I had to put it down and walk away a few feet a couple of times, it’s also not even slightly waterproof, which leads me to think that my old fujica with some colour film and a 24mm lens is a more appropriate tool for the job – especially when I need to go wading.
Which brings me to the second thing i discovered – the water is icky, wet, smelly (chlorine) and it’s freakin cold – something I need to anticipate next time – that and the fact that the duck runs away, necessitating wading after the bugger.
Thirdly I discovered something rather obvious that should have occurred to me before I got to actually taking photographs. This is that urban camouflage actually works remarkably well as camouflage (who woulda thunk it?) – it really does break up the ducks form surprisingly well, thus the shots need to be pretty considered in terms of silhouette and background – they also need to be colour for pretty obvious reasons.
Camouflaged duck is camouflaged.
Oh, and this was fun – accidental shutter release whilst stepping down off a low wall.
I have a strange hankering for an orange blaze deer decoy…
Yeah, I know it’s a ferret – display at the library, either exhorting us to kill ferrets, or possibly fund-raising for the royal society of blind ferrets. Nifty display either way.
Three layers of primer later;
Now I’m researching urban camouflage 😛
And a wee project with oil paint sketches on (primed) paper, I’ve primed and toned enough for about 80 3×4″ sketches, have to wait a few days for the oil wash to dry before I can cut em up and get into it – in the meantime I think a bunch of sumi stuff sounds interesting.
The duck was to be another project, as can be seen by the artist ref shots.
Just gone through my contact sheets for the last two years – it would seem that I have a thing for photographing dead birds, part of my engagement with the concept of the photograph as eulogy.
A post on lion hunting coming soon.
I have a new camera, it’s a Zenit TTL SLR, and it has a broken light meter, thus I need to guesstimate the exposure. For $15 I got the camera with a standard 58 mm F2 lens, the case, and a spare 135 mm lens that has fungus in it. I’m quite happy with it for that price. I have a B & W film in it now, so I’ll post some pics next week (assuming that I don’t completely blow it).
It’s quite a big camera, it weighs a little over a kilo, all steel and quite satisfyingly sturdy feeling.
Now I just need a short lens about 20 – 30 mm.
Out of focus shot through the viewfinder – as you can see it’s pretty dim. (and yes, I need to clean my windows)
This is in focus, I don’t find this shot as aesthetically pleasing.
On a side note, I went to the library today and as I left I got mobbed by about 20 seagulls, all flying all around me, it was like something from a Hitchcock film – except they weren’t attacking me and I couldn’t see the wires. So a couple of shots of seagulls.
More seagulls, you prolly can’t tell, but the nearest ones were about 4′ from the camera, I so need a zoom digicam.